Executive Board of Directors (Officers)
President - Anne Tahir
1st Vice Presidents/Programs Jennie McMullin, Leonore Chapin
2nd Vice President - Kelly Tischler
Secretary - Jamie Taber
Treasurer - Holly Grosvenor
Advisor - Tara Irvine
NOMOTC Representative - Leonore Chapin
Social Activities - Julia Vieweg
Ways and Means -
Consignment Sale Chair - Kerry Mai
Consignment Sale Advisor - Jennie McMullin
Community Service - Adopt-a-Family - Debby Ballweg
Community Service - Family Resources - Beverly Hicks
Community Service - HRP Visit Coordinator - Michelle Lopez
New and Expectant Moms - Bridgette Walsh, Kelly Brown
Playgroups - Kerry Mai, Rachel Hamlin
Mom's Night Out - Kate Johns
Key Retrieval - Tara Irvine
Refreshments - Virginia Culp
Badge Maker - Leonore Chapin
Webmaster - Beverly Hicks
Publicity - Renee Servinsky, Beverly Hicks
Partnerships - Anne Tahir
MAPOM Delegates - Gina Lincicum, Holly Grosvenor
FCMOM Club Overview
Currently our club consists of over 300 families from the northern Virginia area including Alexandria, Falls Church, Springfield, Woodbridge, Stafford, Fairfax, Burke, Reston, Herndon, Centreville, Vienna, Oakton and McLean areas. We are all parents of twins, triplets or greater multiples who come together to celebrate the joys and weather the challenging times while raising multiples.
The club provides the opportunity to learn about the latest research in the field of multiple children, offer support and advice to each other and to form new friendships.
Why join an organization for families with multiples?
One of the best aspects of FCMOM is the association and communication with other parents of multiples. Often you will discover that the problems and frustrations you encounter in raising your multiples have been experienced by other members and it is extremely beneficial to discuss them with someone who understands - because they have been there! Their suggestions and insight can mean a great deal. Being a parent of multiples can be challenging, but it is definitely a special thing. To find answers to more specific questions, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page.
The Fairfax County Mothers of Multiples (FCMOM) was founded on May 21, 1981. Meetings were held at Good Shepherd Church in Burke and dues were $10 a year. Membership by the second meeting was 16 and our first President was Sherry Scarborough. By year two, membership had risen to 35. As of 2016, the club is now over 300 members strong and our meetings are held regularly at the Woods Burke Community Center.
Community InvolvementFCMOM is here to support its members, but we also support the local community! Here are some things we do to help out:
- Visit moms on strict hospital bedrest at Inova Fairfax Hospital's high risk (HRP) unit
- Collect food and gift certificates for food baskets for needy families at Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Collect gifts, clothing, and holiday stockings for needy children at Christmas
- Donate unsold merchandise from consignment sales to community charities, including family thrift shops, church missions, Salvation Army, preschools, and teen mom programs
- Visit nursing homes
- Support needy families of multiples in the community
- 1987-88 Membership jumped 53% to 76, the club by-laws were rewritten and the club was recognized as "Club of the Year" at the Tri-State Convention.
- 1989-90 Paid advertisements were accepted for the newsletter to offset printing costs. The club was again named "Club of the Year" at Tri-State Convention and the newsletter was named runner-up in the newsletter division.
- 1990-91 The club co-hosted the Tri-State Convention at the Fair Oaks Holiday Inn. Barb Pearson was the Chairmom.
- 1994-95 The club won "Newsletter of the Year" for the Mid-Atlantic region and membership had grown to over 150.
- 1995-96 The club again won "Newsletter of the Year" for the Mid-Atlantic region.
- 1998-99 The club won "Newsletter of the Year" at the Mid-Atlantic Convention.
- 2000-2001 FCMOM was the host club for the 26th Annual Mid-Atlantic Parents of Multiples Convention, held at the Sheraton Premiere at Tysons Corner. We also won "Newsletter of the Year" and were honored to be named "Club of the Year" at the Convention.
- 2002-03 Website was named runner-up at the Mid-Atlantic Parents of Multiples Convention.
- 2003-04 The club won "Website of the Year" at the Mid-Atlantic Parents of Multiples Convention and the newsletter was named runner-up in the newsletter division.
- 2004-05 The club won "Newsletter of the Year" at the Mid-Atlantic Parents of Multiples Convention.